Millsaps College continues to be a leader in NCAA
Division III athletics, with quality programs and top
student-athletes who represent the highest level of competition and
sportsmanship. In recent years, the men’s basketball,
football programs have claimed conference championships and advanced to postseason play.
Now is the time to join the M-Club, the official fundraising arm of Millsaps athletics. We strive to offer our athletes a first-class experience, and need your support to maintain our quality athletic program. A full 35 percent of Millsaps undergraduates participate in some varsity sport, and last year, more than 51 percent of freshmen were student-athletes.
Last fall, the football team and the women’s soccer team had school-record seasons. Football peaked at No. 3 in the country, winning its third-straight SCAC title and finishing at 11-1 overall. Women’s soccer opened the year at 7-0 en route to a 13-7 finish. In the spring, the baseball team became the first in Millsaps’ athletic history to gain a No. 1 ranking and advanced to the NCAA Regionals for a fourth time in seven seasons.
Just two years ago, our men’s basketball team advanced to the Elite Eight Championship Round, going further than any Major team in history while finishing the year ranked No. 6 by D3hoops.com.
We want to assure the continued success of these programs and enhance the opportunity for all of our teams to compete for conference championships. We welcome your support of the M-Club, which helps the College provide quality athletic programs.
What is the M-Club?
The M-Club is a tax-exempt organization which is the official fundraising arm of Millsaps athletics. All the money contributed to the M-Club goes directly to the athletic program. Your gift is a charitable donation that is tax deductable to the extent permitted by law and helps with unbudgeted expenses and other areas related to the successful operation of the athletic department.
What is its purpose?
With a clear focus on student-athletes and their success, the M-Club has one primary purpose: to raise athletic assistance and operating funds and maintain first-class programs for all sports at Millsaps College. Through gifts from alumni, parents, faculty/staff and friends, the M-Club helps the College maintain an athletic program that is competitive in NCAA Division III and the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference (SCAC). The conference spans over nine different states in Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Tennessee and Texas and includes 12 of the nation's finest liberal arts institutions, eight of which hold membership in Phi Beta Kappa.
Why should I join?
At Millsaps, we want the athletic opportunities to rival our outstanding academic offerings. Your support can bring our athletic program to the level of excellence enjoyed by the rest of the College, making the Millsaps experience even more complete. Millsaps athletics have succeeded with the generous support of our M-Club donors, but we're still early in the game. Programs are poised for even greater achievements, and we need your help. Your assistance is vital to the success of Millsaps athletics.
What are the membership
There are five different levels of membership ranging from Sergeant ($100), Second Lieutenant ($500), First Lieutenant ($1,000), Captain ($1,500) and up to Major ($2,000 and up). Various levels allow for special privileges and access to team merchandise and special events.
Other than an annual cash donation, how can
I give to the M-Club?
Matching gifts: If your company is a participant in a matching gift program, you have the opportunity to receive credit for the total contribution, thus doubling or tripling the benefit level. Annual M-Club Dinner for Champions: 2008 details still underway.
How are the Majors doing on the playing
field and on the court?
That doesn't matter. But since you asked, here's a look back on key moments in the past five years...
- In 2008, Football completed an undefeated regular season and No. 3 National Ranking
- In 2007-08, the Men's Basketball Team finished the season No. 6 Nationally and went to the Elite Eight in the NCAA Tournament while finished with a 28-4 record.
- On April 4, 2010, the Millsaps Baseball Team became the first program in Millsaps Athletic's history to become the No. 1 Team in the Nation.
- The Millsaps Women’s Lacrosse team became the first team to play a varsity game in the state of Mississippi as they took on the University of Dallas on Feb. 18, 2011.
- In the two year existence of Millsaps Track & Field, the Majors have had the Male and Female Track Athlete of the Year (Michael Galatas 2009 and Erica Cook 2010).
- Head Baseball Coach Jim Page eanred his 600th win this season on April 4th, 2012 against cross-town rival Belhaven.
- This past season, 109 student-athletes were named to the SCAC Academic Honor Roll.
- Head Coach Chuck Winkleman of women’s basketball had one of the best turnaround seasons in Millsaps and SCAC history. In 2010-11 ,he improved the Lady Majors from one win a year ago to 12 wins this season, earning himself Co-Coach of the Year. He then led Millsaps to a 22-6 season and appearance in the SCAC Championship. He earned South Region Coach of the Year
- Millsaps earned 52 All-Conference selections this past season.
- This past season, volleyball finished 22-13 under Head Coach Jamie Burns, it’s best record since 2004.
- Head Coach Jason Box earned Women's Tennis Coach of the Year in the SCAC after turing the Majors around from a 1-17 a year ago to 18-5 and a SCAC Tournament best third place finsih.
- Head Women's Lacrosse Coach Tracy Cepnio earned Tri-SCAC Coach of the Year for her effort in 2012 while continuing to imrpove the program.
Gifts such as stocks, bonds, real estate, insurance, charitable trusts, gift annuities, and bequests may be made to the M-Club. The Millsaps development office has staff representatives who specialize in these types of gifts to the College. We invite your questions. Please call us at (601) 974-1020 or (800) 352-1050.
How do I join the Millsaps College
Joining the M-Club is as simple as filling out an online brochure and mailing it in.
Can I give to the sport of my choice or
does it go into one big pot?
There is a spot listed on the online brochure where you can designate to an unrestricted M-Club (benefits all) or specific sport. Simply fill in the sport of your choice and the amount.
Associate Athletic Director
Office: (601) 974.1196